Sunday 19 September 2010

Sew far sew good


Please excuse the terrible heading I just couldn't help myself! So today I finally got the sewing machine out, set it up on the dining room table and got to work trying to remember how to thread it....It wasn't happening so I searched you YouTube for some helpful videos and I found this video helpful. Sewing machine threaded I got to work trying to sew a straight line, the first few attempts were pretty shocking but after a few attempts I got an okay (ish) straight line. I have a lot to learn though, it's going to be my winter project I think, to get to grips with my sewing machine!! Any hints, tips, or advice are very welcome! I'd love to incorporate some sewing into my artwork. I love the aesthetic of paper with stitching combined with other medias. Has anyone else out there got this sewing machine? I don't have a manual for it which is a shame, and have no idea about tensions/stitch lengths and things like that. So any info would be much appreciated. Okay well good evening all, I will leave you will some photographs taken today..
First attempt!!!
After a few more goes it was looking much better..! I'm thinking I might make some bunting for my first sewing project, must be pretty simple right?! Watch this space!

7 comments:

  1. You have nice vintage singer sewing machine!Good luck and many creative hours :)you don't have to sew straight lines.It's more fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vesna! My great aunt gave it to me, apparently it still works perfectly, I just need to get the hang of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it's ok, but I included your lovely sewing machine print on my blog today. Mastering the sewing machine is on my to-do list too. Dan is really good on it, but my brain can't seem to work it out! Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you will master this, and i cannot wait to see all the beautiful pieces you create!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks lovelies!! You make me smile! I will post some sewing machine related artwork soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know enough about machines to explain them in a comment. I've had some success demonstrating how one works for a friend. :)
    I have an old Singer (older than yours). Sometimes it is possible to buy copies of the manuals on ebay. I found mine very helpful when I first started using it. I just sew forwards and backwards, nothing fancy. The stitch size, per inch, is controlled by the up-and-down levery-thing on the right. I can't tell in the picture but I think the presser foot tension (the presser foot is the thing that looks like a foot that is around the needle and holds down your fabric when you lower it with the lever) is controlled by the screw at the top of your machine directly above the needle (tighter for thicker fabrics, looser for lighter). The tension for the needle thread (only adjusted when the presser foot is in the down position) is adjusted with the numbered dial that your thread wraps around when you thread the machine. to the right, the higher the number, the more the tension. to the left, the lower the tension. i guess you can email me if this is confusing or if i can help more. my email is on my blog. thanks for leaving the nice comment.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, have a nice day and come back soon :-)